Monday, September 29, 2014

Do You Know Your Season?






Back in high school, I had the privilege of flying to Indonesia after the tsunami of 2004 to assist with food distribution. On our way to Indonesia, we had a layover in Singapore. We stepped off the plane and into the air conditioned airport with many different sounds, smells and sights than I had experienced before. We walked through customs encountering a new culture, a new way of life and proceeded to the main exit doors of the airport. Right when we stepped through the invisible layer that separated the air conditioned airport and the Singapore climate, I was struck by a wave of heat and humidity I was not expecting!

It reminded me of when I was a child walking through New York, stepping over a sewer grate and being pelted with a rush of hot, humid and smelly air. This Indonesian climate collision reminded me of my New York experience (except the smell of rotting trash!), but did not go away! The humid, Southeast Asian climate was here to stay. 

Sometimes life brings new climates or seasons too. After serving as a resident director at a Christian college this past academic year, I left to follow Jesus in attending seminary (which I never wanted to or though I would do!). We moved in the summer, so I had a few months before seminary started. I thought I would jump right back into ministry and serving. I tried several options, but nothing really panned out or was taking quite longer than I expected.

I squirmed at this. I squirmed at the fact that I was not "doing" anything but was in fact forced (later I found out God had planned all this) to just "be" and wait during most of the summer. I thought I was in a season of serving and ministry, but the season and weather had changed without me taking notice.

I pushed and shoved in my spirit, but kept coming up against Something much bigger than myself that I could not move. I needed help. I Skyped my spiritual director and explained the situation to her. She very graciously and insightfully shared that she believed I was in a season of being, waiting and plowing. This clicked with me. I thought I was in a season of ministry and service, when I was really in a season of being, waiting and plowing. And little did I know the deep heart and character work the Lord would soon unfold in weeks to come.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 

There is a time for everything,
 and a season for every activity under the heavens: 

    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

These verses depict the many different seasons life can bring. Life would not work well if we lived at peace when we were really at war. Or if we were in a season of deep brokenness, life would not work well if we lived as though nothing were wrong.

The wisdom I have learned is that it is often helpful to figure out what season of life we are in and then live into that season as best we can.

Take a moment to reflect. What season are you in?

Live into it as best you can.



Jesus, may you help me to recognize the seasons of my life that I may live into them as best I can with you. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment