Monday, October 13, 2014

Praying on the Armor of God.



Spiritual warfare. This term sparks many different thoughts, perspectives and emotions for different people. No matter our theological or experiential understand of spiritual warfare, Scripture is clear that everyone (Christian and non-Christian alike) are engaged is a spiritual battle.

[For a list of verses indicating spiritual warfare, please see the list at the bottom of the page.]

And by spiritual battle, I mean that Satan and his demons are actively and daily engaged in the lives of people. These forces of darkness are at all times seeking to "steal, kill and destroy" (John 10:10). So if we are engaged in a daily spiritual battle against the powers of darkness, what do we, as Christians, to do?

God calls us to "put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes" (Ephesians 6:11). I would encourage you to read the whole passage of Ephesians 6:10-18 if you have never done so. This will give you a fuller context of the armor of God.

Put on spiritual glasses for a moment. Imagine what the spiritual realm looks like. Picture two Christians. One is fully equipped in the armor of God and the other is not. Who is Satan more likely going to go after? And if Satan happens to go after the armored Christian, how is this person ready to respond? The point is, when we "put on" the armor of God, we are spiritually equipped to "stand our ground" (Ephesians 6:12).

I never used to pray on the armor of God. I never knew it was important or necessary. Then as I followed Jesus Christ, I naturally encountered the powers of darkness or demons. These enemy forces sought in any way they could to keep me from living an effective Kingdom advancing life. Because of this, I learned about praying on the armor of God.

There are different ways to "put on" the armor of God. I will share with you how God has taught me.

Simply enough, putting on the armor of God is praying through each piece of the armor listed in Ephesians 6:10-18 and living it out in daily life. The key connecting point is praying on the armor and living it out. Each piece of armor protects and equips a different aspect of a Christian's life.

Below is a model prayer that I have developed over the years of praying on the armor of God. You are more than welcome to use it, makes copies, distribute it. Whatever you would like. I say this because over the years of teaching people to pray on the armor of God, I have seen amazing transformation take place in the lives of Christians.

Feel free to develop your own prayer for praying on the armor of God. If you do so, think through each piece of armor; what it represents spiritually and practically. Then develop a prayer to pray on the armor of God.

Oh, and how often should someone pray on the armor of God? Good question. I believe it depends on the context. I would recommend praying on the armor of God at least once per week. I usually do this on Monday morning as I start my week. I also pray on the armor as the Holy Spirit leads or directs me to. Finding a balance is good.


Praying on the Armor of God, a model prayer.

Be Strong in the Lord 
Father, I acknowledge my weakness and my need to stand in Your strength and power. I ask that you would fill me with Your power and enable me to stand strong in You. 

Belt of Truth  
May I stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around my waist. May I live in truth with You, myself and others. I pray that I would be able to receive truth in deep humility no matter the source from which You choose to speak. I ask that you would make me into a person of integrity and Christ-like character. Would You grow me in discernment – being able to discern truth from lies and deceit, and to discern the motives of others and the work of the enemy. Enable me to stand in your Truth.

Breastplate of Righteousness  
And I put on the breastplate of righteousness. I give thanks that my righteousness comes from Jesus, and Jesus alone. He has made me righteous by His blood and sacrifice on the cross. I ask that You would empower me to live a righteous and holy life in the fear of the Lord before You. I ask, Holy Spirit, that You would cultivate good Kingdom soil in my heart and remove all other soils that would hinder your work – the hard soil, the rock and weeds from my heart and what they represent. Holy Spirit, I ask that You would cultivate Your fruit in my heart – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. I ask, Father, that You would fill my heart with wisdom that is beyond my years. That I may be filled and saturated with your love, that I may love others as you love them. And that You, Jesus, may permeate my entire being with your very humility. 

Feet Fitted with Readiness that comes from the Gospel of Peace  
That my feet may be fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. I pray that I would be rooted in You, Jesus and in Your Word. I pray that I would be a person at peace – in my mind, heart, will and spirit – and that I would be a person of peace and a minister of reconciliation. I ask for opportunities to share the Gospel with nonbelievers, to pray with them, to bless them, and to give Bibles to them.

Shield of Faith to Extinguish the Flaming Arrows of the Evil One  
I pray that you would help me to hold up the shield of faith against the flaming arrows of the evil one. I ask that you would grow my faith and deepen my trust in You.

Helmet of Salvation  
Thank you Father for salvation through Jesus Christ and that I can never be taken out of Your hand. I pray that You would bring me salvation and deliverance in my present circumstances. I ask that You would form more and more in me the mind of Christ and help me to take every thought captive to Him.

Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God  
And I take the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. I pray that I would grow in a hunger to read and study Your Word. That You would empower me to memorize and recall Your Word. That You would equip me to minster to others using Your Word.

Praying in the Spirit  
I pray that I would pray in the Spirit, and not in my own flesh and wisdom. Holy Spirit come and fill me now. I offer myself fully to you as Your vessel to accomplish the will of God in this life. I pray that I would keep in step with You and walk with You. That I would not grieve or quench Your work in my life. I ask that you would also fan into flame the spiritual gifts You have given me to advance Your Kingdom.

Being Alert   
I pray that I would be alert – both spiritual and naturally.

Praying for the Saints 
And I pray that I would be a person who is growing in intercessory prayer. That I would be sensitive to You, Holy Spirit, in how you want me to pray for other believers. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.





Jesus, would you equip us to pray on and live out the armor you have given us. Amen.




List of Scriptures Indicating Spiritual Warfare
Genesis 3:1-7
1 Chronicles 21:1-7
Job 1:6-2:10
Daniel 10:1-11:1
Matthew 4:1-11
Luke 4:31-35
John 8:44-45
John 10:10
Acts 16:16-18
2 Corinthians 2:11
Ephesians 6:12
1 Peter 5:8-9
1 John 4:1-3
Jude 9



No comments:

Post a Comment